Wednesday 15 May 2013

Book Bags...Literally

Do you remember when you used to have a book bag for school? A plain, rather unattractive thing that gave you static shots?
Well, recently book bags seem to be back on trend, but in a totally different way. Enter the of book clutch. They have been around for a little while, Michelle Williams carried one at the 2012 BAFTAs.

Michelle Williams With Book Clutch
They seem to be having a resurgence in popularity at the moment, probably thanks to the release of The Great Gatsby; it's brought the beautiful Art Deco art work to the public's attention.

As an inexhaustible reader I do love these clutches, though I'm sure a lot are used by posers to show off their superior book knowledge.

The most popular ones, especially in celebrity circles, seem to be Olympia Le Tan's stunning embroidered versions.

Madame Bovary Book Clutch - Olympia Le Tan

War and Peace Book Clutch - Olympia Le Tan
They are lovely, but as they're over 1,000 Euros they're a bit out of my price range.
I was very excited therefore, when I opened a recent Look magazine and saw that there was an Etsy designer creating book clutches at a fraction of the price.


Le Petit Prince Book Clutch - P.S. Besitos

P.S. Besitos has a range of book clutches with a number of well known and obscure titles. I particularly love The Secret Garden one as it is one of my favourite books.

Secret Garden Book Clutch - P.S. Besitos

Plus the designer, Jessica Bermudez Bautista doesn't use actual books to create them because "I couldn’t bear the thought of stripping a book of its pages." She sounds like my kind of girl.


Moby Dick - P.S. Besitos

At £52.20 these fit my price range better, though still more than I usually like to spend (50p). But, for bags as lovely as these I'll save up my pennies.

www.olympialetan.com
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/psBesitos

No comments:

Post a Comment